17th Century Swedish carved oak table box, Västergötland c.1675
For sale is a richly decorated and beautiful original oak Västgötaskrin c.1650-1750 (box from the Västergötland region) a strong farming county in the SW Sweden.
- This highly decorated table box in the typical style of this period has beautiful geometric precision carving from the Baroque period.
- The box has all surfaces except the base decorated with geometric motifs, hearts, wreaths, rosettes and great symmetry. The pair of heart decorated motifs to the front panel either side of the lock and to the rosettes to the rear with the forged straps are particularly beautiful. The lid decoration is superb piece of craftsmanship in an extended motif.
- The small, notched and expanding carving emerges from different sections in a lovely geometric pattern and must have taken a considerable amount of skill and time to complete.
- The box is constructed with prominent and well executed dove-tail joints.
- The table box carving is created by a craftsman forming two parallel cuts made with the point of a blade, then angled to create a v-shaped carved channel / groove.
- Carving like this is an ancient one, known to have been practiced in many countries throughout the world. In Europe, museums, mainly in Germany, Britain and Scandinavia with a rich woodfolk culture hold examples and objects that were carved in this manner so as to produce a design lying below the original surface of the object, sometimes being further decorated with painting.
- The box has original forged ironwork hinges, a later lock without a key and sits on small oak bun feet (replaced). The box is in good condition and the solid oak shows only very minimal historic woodworm to the base in one section
- In such fine table boxes, important documents used to be kept, perhaps testaments, the farm's documents and other important and valuable things.
- The richly coloured oak table box has a great patina from considerable age and use and is great condition considering the age at circa 300-370 years of age.
Ready for a new home and continued decorative utility, a beautiful item with a long life.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 28cm (11")H: 11cm (4.3")D: 27cm (10.6")
17th Century, 18th Century