Swedish 'Folk Art' Bridal/dowry Box, Jämtland, rosmålning c.1800
For sale is a beautiful Swedish folk art decorated bridal/dowry box with delicate rosmålning to the front panel and lid. Within the lid and box edge are beautiful serpentine naturalistic curves in the Rococo style of floral decoration over a white background.
- A typical Jämtland lidded box in its shape, construction and the earthy orange-red background colour, with skillful rosmålning highlights to the front panel and lid, with attractive wear from use to the surfaces / edges.
- The box has robust iron strapwork from rural craftspeople in Jämtland, central Sweden on the Norwegian border.
- The box widens from the base to the lid and has some carefully thought out construction using dovetail joints to secure the sections. It rests on a widened base giving the box a lovely balance in its design.
- Dated circa 1790-1810, from the Jämtland region of central Sweden, with lovely delicate floral decoration to the edge of the lid and central wreath. The folk furniture culture of Jämtland is known as one of the foremost regions for Swedish folk craftsmanship. The farmers in the 18th and 19th Century in Northern Sweden were wealthy from selling wood and flax. They expressed their wealth in large farmhouses with beautifully decorated interiors, painted furniture and skillfully decorated bridal gifts.
- The attractive folk painted box has a hinged lid with lovely original hand forged fittings including ironwork strap hinges and lock mechanism. The lock does not have a key.
- The box is of pine construction with a warm earthy background colour typical of these folk art boxes with floral motifs and naturalistic patterns faded by age.
- Rosmålning is a style of Scandinavian decorative painting on wood that uses stylised flower ornamentation, predominantly primary and secondary colours, scrollwork, lining and geometric elements, often in flowing patterns.
- These boxes were often bridal or dowry boxes like others noted in our sold archives at www.wandwantiques.com from 1827.
Ready for continued use and beautiful decorative storage after 220+years.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 32cm (12.6")H: 20cm (7.9")D: 30cm (11.8")
18th Century, 19th Century, Gustavian (c. 1775 to 1810)