Swedish 'Folk Art' original blue black painted rosmålning box, 1848.
For sale is a wonderful original blue/black painted box with rosmålning and warm orange/red panel decoration from from 1848.
- This box is a stunning combination of colours from the Hälsingland Region of Sweden.
- The charming original paint box has lovely warm earthy red panels to three sides decorated with lovely black painted scrolling decoration.
- The front panel has a beautiful orangey red panel with monogram PGT / 1848.
- The beautiful original paint is a characteristic blue/black colour.
- The edges of the box have dark painted sections imitating ironwork in addition to the worn orangey /red edges framing the writing box lid and rosmålning.
- Original ironwork hinges, lock escutcheon and key.
- The beautiful box is hinged with original handmade ironwork and lock escutcheon with key.
- Inside the lid, it has some pencilled signatures which look to indicate from the Pehr-Johan Göran Toll 1854 and 1859.
- The farmers in the 18th and 19th Century in Sweden were wealthy from selling wood and flax. They expressed their wealth in large farmhouses with beautifully decorated interiors, painted furniture and skilfully decorated bridal gifts.
*Ref: Scandinavian painted decor (1990) J. Innes.
A simple, skilful and charming Swedish folk art box from Hälsingland in original paint at circa 172 years of age.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 37cm (14.6")D: 21cm (8.3")L: 38cm (15")