Swedish Folk Art original red painted table box Jämtland region 1804
For sale is a beautiful folk art decorated, lidded box from Jämtland, central Sweden on the Norwegian border.
- A typical Jämtland lidded box in its shape, construction and the earthy red colour with attractive wear from use
- The box widens from the base to the lid and has some carefully thought out construction using dovetail joints to secure the sections
- The front panel frieze and lid of the box are decorated with rosmålning / floral motifs / wreath as shown in the photographs
- Dated 1804, from the Jämtland region of central Sweden, with the initials JAD painted inside the lid over a dark blue/green background
- The inside of the box has a candle box/shelf with part lid
- The attractive folk painted box has a hinged lid with lovely original hand forged ironwork strap hinges and lock mechanism a couple of attaching bolts have been replaced at some point in its life. The lock does not have a key
- The folk furniture culture of Jämtland is known as one of the foremost regions for Swedish folk craftsmanship. The farmers in the 18th and 19th Century in Northern Sweden were wealthy from selling wood and flax. They expressed their wealth in large farmhouses with beautifully decorated interiors, painted furniture and skilfully decorated bridal gifts
- The box is of pine construction with warm, earthy red and floral decorative paint in colours typical of these folk art boxes with floral motifs and naturalistic patterns faded by age. Rosmålning is a style of Scandinavian decorative painting on wood that uses stylised flower ornamentation, predominantly primary and secondary colours, scrollwork, lining and geometric elements, often in flowing patterns
- These boxes were often bridal or dowry boxes like one(s) noted in our sold archives at www.wandwantiques.com from the late 18th and early 19th Century
Ready for further decorative utility and another 200+ years.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 29cm (11.4")H: 20cm (7.9")L: 37cm (14.6")
19th Century, Gustavian (c. 1775 to 1810)