Swedish 'Folk Art' Small blue-black Hälsingland, table chest box 1814
For sale is a wonderful original blue/black painted small domed table chest or tool box with warm orange/red panel decoration from from 1814.
- This box is a stunning combination of colours from the Hälsingland Region of Sweden.
- The charming original paint box has lovely warm earthy red panels to four sides decorated with lovely black painted scrolling imitation ironwork decoration.
- The front panel has a beautiful orangey red panel with 1814 denoted.
- The beautiful age-worn original paint is a characteristic blue/black colour and the domed lid has a three letter monogram painted elegantly beneath the attractive scrolling handle HUL.
- The box must have been a valued possession, judged by the ironwork and decorative panels/colours used as a useful storage chest.
- The edges of the box have dark painted sections imitating ironwork at the four corners and across the arc of the lid. The small table chest imitates the decorative elements of full-scale or large 'kista' or chests/coffers.
- Original handmade / forged ironwork hinges and beautifully elegant twist-worked scrolling handle to the lid. There is no key.
- The farmers in the 18th and 19th Century in Sweden were wealthy from selling wood and flax. They expressed their wealth in large farmhouses with beautifully decorated interiors, painted furniture and skilfully decorated bridal gifts.
*Ref: Scandinavian painted decor (1990) J. Innes.
A simple, skillful and charming Swedish folk art box from Hälsingland in original paint at circa 206+ years of age.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 24cm (9.4")H: 25cm (9.8")L: 31cm (12.2")
19th Century, Georgian (1714 to 1837)