Swedish 'Folk Art' Travel chest in blue paint & ironwork 18th Century
For sale is an 18th Century, strong and robustly built Swedish travel chest in a decorative blue paint.
- This large Swedish oval shaped travelling chest is a testament to its maker some 270+ years ago in rural Sweden.
- The bentwood travel chest has been built in a reinforced manner with decorative iron strapwork, fastening loops and handle, much as you see on more familiar 19th and 20th Century travel trunks made of leather.
- The handmade wrought iron hardware protects the lid circumference, with strapwork, loops and handle.
- The lid has a small linen pouch attached to the underside.
- The chest has been both overpainted at some stage in a blue paint which has then been partially removed during its lifespan. The internal colour is a base white/cream.
- This travel chest has some lovely decorative ironwork, handle and includes the original pressure release lock and key.
- The chest is in good used condition, with an age-worn patina throughout, marks, cracks and scuffs.
A lovely nearly 300 year old travel chest from rural Sweden in an attractive and decorative blue paint.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees. If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 39cm (15.4")H: 30cm (11.8")L: 59cm (23.2")
18th Century, Rococo (c. 1750 to 1775), Gustavian (c. 1775 to 1810)