Swedish 'Folk Art' wooden Birch 'Sveapask' storage boxes, 19th century
For sale are a couple of bentwood/birch Scandinavian storage containers with handled lids referred to in Sweden as 'Svepask'. Both are from the 19th Century.
- These rustic practical, light, wooden containers with handles were used for a range of purposes including predominantly dry food storage and transportation. The 19th century equivalent of a large plastic storage box, but considerably more attractive. The bentwood construction achieved with heat and moisture to bend the wood around an oval to the correct size and then secured in place with rush/root material chain stitched through the overlap. They are also referred to as 'sweeping' boxes due to the curved nature and the sweep ends overlapping and being joined together.
- Constructed with bent wood around the outer edge secured in place with a fitted lid they are very light and practical.
- The lid and flexing wood locking mechanism is a clever way for the lid to remain secured. Each has a carry handle to the centre.
- The dark green floral folk painted one looks to have been later painted in the early 20th Century judging by the paint.
- Both have oval shaped wooden lids which slot into the end stays and a carry handle, both are rustic objects and have wear and use marks as appropriate to their age, yet they are still functional and decorative storage items.
- The bare wood one is probably of greater age and the construction is easier to see in the way the simple parts slot together. It has had some historic woodworm at some stage in its life as shown in the photographs.
Both are a clever, light and pleasingly simple design, as decorative/rustic storage items.
Free delivery to the UK mainland as priced. International buyers are welcome, but please contact us prior to payment to confirm the additional packaging, insurance and shipping costs by way of acceptance to your country. Purchaser responsible for local import tariffs/fees.
If you are interested in multiple items, please contact us for combined postage.
W: 34cm (13.4")H: 17cm (6.7")D: 17cm (6.7")