Georgian copper grain bin, formerly from Lowther Castle
Delivery Quote Request
Please fill in the form below to request a delivery quote from Baggott Church Street Ltd.
About this item
Georgian copper grain bin of circular drum form with flared rolled rim, the tightly fitting lid engraved with a coronet and the letter ‘L’. The crest of the 5th Earl Lonsdale of Lowther Castle, Westmoreland, Cumbria. This piece formerly part of the batterie de cuisine.
The fondness of yellow for his many cars and footmen's livery inspired the 5th Earl's nickname 'The Yellow Earl'. Sadly, his free-spending largely wrecked the estate, and his heir, his brother Lancelot, the 6th Earl was forced to auction off the contents of Lowther Castle in a series of sales in the Spring and Summer of 1947. This proved to be the largest English country house sale of the 20th century.
Stock No. 2484