Amphora Blown Opalescent Glass by Salviati, circa 1880
Amphora produced by Salviati circa 1880. The hand blown citrine colored opalescent glass vessel is internally decorated with gold powders. Inspired by ancient Greek pottery, the Amphora was a traditionally a two-handled pot with a neck narrower than its larger body, a wide mouth opening and the tapering base that sits on a splayed foot. Salviati & Co. was founded in 1877 in Murano, Venice, Italy, by Dr Antonio Salviati, Enrico Podio, and Lorenzo Radi. In 1883 it was purchased by the Barovier family.
provenance: Martin Cohen Arts
Creator Antonio Salviati (Designer),Salviati (Manufacturer), Italy